First let me say I blame genetics for my overstocked situation. My mother at all times kept at least two lasagnas at the ready in the freezer because she never knew who was coming home for lunch after church on Sunday and she liked to be prepared.
If she’s said it once, she’s said it a thousand times, “I’d rather have too much than too little.”
I like bounty, as evidenced by the abundance on my thighs, but when I get into purge mode (which happens about 6.8 seconds after all the Christmas presents are unwrapped and the living room looks like a bomb exploded), it’s “all exits no waiting” in cleaning out the shelves, cupboards and closets. Every year, I pull every ding dang can and box out of the pantry, organize and re-stock my shelves, making note of what I have in a binder.
Ditto for the freezers.
It’s my birthright to have a deep freeze.
I spend about an hour playing spin the bottle with the lists and marrying items from both and concoct my meal ideas (which follow) to guide my cooking for the month. Everything on the list uses what’s on my shelf. I will have to buy milk, eggs, fresh fruit/veggies and bread for school lunches, but I otherwise plan on sticking to my menu for the next 3-4 weeks unless Mr. CPQ decides he needs a fry fix and ditches the plan for the Golden Arches.
And yes, there’s meat at every meal.
I have men in my house.
That I try to keep happy.
- Moroccan meatballs w/couscous
- Chili w/cornbread
- Golden meatballs with egg noodles, peas
- Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, corn
- Provencal steak, au gratin potatoes, creamed spinach
- Beef stew, corn muffins
- Pot roast, twice baked potatoes, broccoli
- Beef enchiladas w/mexican rice
- Steak kabobs, rice
- Swiss chicken and rice, green beans
- King ranch chicken
- Patty sandwiches
- White chicken chili
- Pork and black bean chili
- Chops, fried okra, creamed corn
- BBQ sandwiches, corn on the cob
- Pressed Cuban sandwiches
- Kielbasa with penne mac and cheese, broccoli
- Lasagna (in honor of my mom!)
- Orechiette with broccoli and sausage
- Sausage, pepper and onion subs
- Shrimp jambalaya
- Clam chowder
- Shrimp and grits
- Asian shrimp stir fry w/rice noodles
- Crab Alfredo
I think that’ll tide me over for a while… Anybody want to come over for dinner?
Have a nice day.