1. We had our first basketball practice last night. I confidently walked into the gym thinking “college scholarship”. I slinked out thinking “aggressive savings strategy”.
2. The boys were off for MLK Day so we went to the Lego store. As did every other boy under the age of twelve in Wake County.
3. Falafel can vary widely from restaurant to restaurant. I should have known to pass on the mall food court version.
4. I got a call yesterday from the pediatrician that Baby A’s strep culture had come back positive. This made me feel better because my mom’s instinct told me something was up with him, but he was not presenting the classic symptoms. Friday’s rapid strep test was negative and I was perturbed that I had over-reacted and hauled him in for nothing, but the slow growing culture over the weekend indicated that yes, something was amiss. I’m feeling a little vindicated, even if means dishing out the pink stuff twice a day for the next week and a half.
5. I have not watched a minute of coverage of the disaster in Haiti, not because I am unfeeling, but because it hits so close to home. I was six years old when a 7.6 earthquake hit Guatemala, throwing me out of bed at 3:00 a.m. I remember my dad picking me up and running down the hallway to get out of the house in case it collapsed. I can still see the concrete walls swaying and hear the roar of the earth rumbling and the shattering sound of falling dishes. I remember the aftershocks and running outside every time the ground shook. My prayers are with the people of Haiti and for the relief workers who are assisting them. Our donation has gone to The Haiti Response Fund which is administered by the International Mission Board of the Southern Baptist Convention.
6. I don’t want to be inappropriately light-hearted, but if I don’t seek laughter in my daily life, I go to an ugly place rather quickly.
7. I am currently obsessed with RiceWorks Sweet Chili chips. And Sweet Chili Doritos. And the sweet chili sauce that goes on the summer roll I buy at the grocery store sushi stand on a weekly basis.
8. I have five cans of pumpkin in the pantry because there was going to be a shortage at Thanksgiving. I loaded up, disregarding the fact that no one in my family eats anything remotely squash-related. I did manage to find a pumpkin chocolate chip muffin recipe they liked, but that only took care of one can and I’ve got five to go. Ideas, anyone?
9. One of these days I’m going to run out of things to blog about.
10. Today may be that day.
Have a nice day.