1. Sadly, I must report the temporary shelving of one of my New Year’s resolutions. I have stubbornly refused to acknowledge the searing pain in my left foot for the past few months and have continued to train for a half marathon but for the past few weeks the pain has progressed to the point where I am hobbling most of the time. I have a general distaste for seeing any medical professional for any reason whatsoever so my husband had to pull out the old “Submit, woman!” and told me to go to the doctor to get it checked out.
So I did.
And now I’m the proud owner of night splints.
And a jumbo bottle of naproxen that is to be my constant companion for the next 4-16 weeks.
And I am officially barred from doing any weight-bearing exercise until my foot is healed.
I am bummed beyond words because it wipes out four and a half months of training and if I’m really honest, I’m dismayed at the prospect of losing muscle tone and gaining back the weight I’d lost but I’m trying to keep my chin up because he said if I followed his instructions to a T, then I’ll be back in my running shoes in a few months, and the best part, I’ll be completely pain-free.
2. Normally I’m a pretty private person
except for getting personal beauty treatments at mall kiosks in full view of other shoppers, blogging on the internet, getting quoted in the newspaper, and sharing pictures of my hair in foils. I think the limits of my privacy were tested this past week when I dropped into my nail salon for a quick eyebrow wax and my tech invited her visiting BFF into the treatment room with me.
The whole time I was in there they were speaking in their native language and although I’m sure they were comparing notes on the latest fashion trends, it was hard not to think they were talking about me especially since the conversation seemed to get very spirited right after the tech took one look at my brows and said, “Oh, you’re definitely overdue.”
3. I was pleased to find a new swimsuit from Lands End yesterday.
4. Today was our first sick day of the year. Travis started heading downhill mid-week with a slight case of sniffles but this morning he’s in full-blown miserable mode so he and I are hanging out together. I’m sorry he’s under the weather, but I kind of enjoy having the company at home this morning. He’s an easy patient. As long as he has a computer, a toy train in his hand, and an endless supply of Corn Pops, he’s happy.
5. I went to the dealership yesterday to get the oil changed in the Suburban and didn’t realized that I didn’t have my wallet until it was time to check out. I gamely tried to offer 75 cents scrounged from the bottom of my purse plus two soy sauce packets from my last ill-fated visit to Hibachi Grill but the service cashier, in a quite unfriendly tone, informed me that she was allergic to MSG and then just sat and glared at me.
What was she to do? Where was she to go? She was out on her fanny. So over the bridge from Flushing to the Sheffield’s door….
Sorry, had a little Nanny moment flashback.
ANYWAY, I told her that I would need to run home and get my credit card to call in the number and she sighed and told me that would be fine but as I was walking out the door she muttered “I hope you don’t have an accident on the way home.”
And for the bonus round, fresh off the week when his AARP card arrived in the mail and adding insult to injury….
6. Mr. CPQ was at the office water cooler talking to one of his consultants about how difficult it was to keep a fitness routine while traveling. The consultant told him he had a set of exercises PERFECTLY TAILORED for C.
Yoga for the Golden Years
Have a nice day.