1. I’m a simple girl when it comes to Valentine’s Day. A card with a handwritten note inside makes my heart happy.
But to be clear, I’ll never say “no” to jewelry.
2. We’re celebrating a low-key Valentine’s Day because the boys are at the age where they’re a little bit touchy if you even mention the words G-I-R-L and/or L-O-V-E.
I can’t tell if it’s because they like girls or if they’re still mortified by them.
Whichever it is, my sweet boys seemed to appreciate that I didn’t get all mushy on them this morning.
And that I let them eat four pieces of chocolate for breakfast.
3. I’ve always shared love with others but it wasn’t until I had children that I truly learned to accept love.
Those moments when they wrap their arms around me and whisper an unbidden “I love you, Mom” are unfathomably precious.
4. I remember our first Valentine’s Day as a married couple. I came down with a fever at work, left early for home and crawled into bed. My husband came home and thought he’d do the loving thing and let me sleep since I was, you know, SICK, and yet when I woke up at 9:00 that night, I managed to be horribly snarky and mean because he hadn’t planned a romantic dinner out for us.
Bless his heart – he couldn’t win for losing.
And clearly, not my finest hour.
5. Flash forward fifteen years and he still shows me he loves me by letting me sleep.
And I’ve never been more grateful.
Have a nice day.