Bless me, Father, for I have sinned….

It has been two weeks since my last confession blog post.  And judging by the increasing frequency of my mother’s telephone calls (HI, MOM), that’s not acceptable.  We’ve been busy and not busy at all in the last couple of weeks and I can’t really think of one word or theme to describe what’s been going on so I’ll just pick a few and try to fill in from there.


Travis is healing.  After these surgeries (this was our 5th), it’s a blessing (and a lesson) to watch his valiant, brave, cheerful spirit shine through difficult circumstances.   The first few days adjusting to the cast were rough.  I will not lie.  He would wake up and start wailing at the sight of the cast and at his inability to move how he wanted,  plus he had to endure being rolled over for clothes changes and for a while, it wasn’t any fun.  It took a little over a week to get off the high-powered pain meds but I’m happy to report that bottle has been put on the shelf and he’s only taking Tylenol on occasion and at his request.

He’s also graduated from spending all day on the couch to being able to tolerate being in a wheelchair with an elevated leg rest for a good amount of time so he now has options other than watching endless amounts of television.

Thank the Lord for Netflix and Wii.

We have an appointment mid-August to visit the surgeon and he will x-ray the leg and see if the femur has healed enough to cut down the top portion of the cast.  (A little medical trivia for you – the femur heals more rapidly than the tibia because it has a larger blood supply due to a higher muscle mass in the vicinity.)  The lower leg needs to remain casted and non-weight-bearing for another four to five weeks after that.


Remember I said I needed to climb that wall?  I think what happened is that I took a run and hit it smack head on.  On the car ride home from the hospital,  I caught Craig giving me a very curious look and he said, “I think I’m going to stay home this afternoon and help you guys get settled in.”  We stepped in the door, got Travis on the couch, and I said, “I think I need to take a nap” and four and a half hours later as the sun was setting, Craig was waking me up to get some supper.  It has taken a couple of weeks to get any semblance of energy back.




The first week or so it was physical exhaustion from lack of sleep leading up to and during our hospital stay, but there was a mental and emotional fatigue that I needed to work through as well and I’m very happy that about the middle of last week, I started to get my mojo back and have more of a spring to my step and feel like Sus is back.

And that’s good for all involved.



We ain’t going anywhere for a while.  I made a list of things I wanted to accomplish during this period of confinement and have worked my way through most of it.  I’ve cleaned out T’s room, the upstairs closet, rearranged the shelves in the laundry room to make room for a school supply cabinet, and organized the pantry.  There’s only so much organizing a woman can do before going crazy, so I’ve also done a little crafting to keep myself occupied.

I found out how to cover plastic binders on Pinterest and spent an afternoon cutting and wrapping spray-glued fabric over some old binders I had and organized the study notes from my Bible Study Fellowship days and am pleased with how they turned out.

Ranger Rick Safety Tip:  Use spray glue outside and with a mask or spend four hours praying that you didn’t seal your lungs together as you hack and cough your head off.


I’ve learned that God has a sense of humor.  Just a few days after we got home and while we were still feeling our way around a new normal, JJ was getting a drink of water at the kitchen sink and the glass slipped out of his wet hand and broke.  Somehow and for the life of me I cannot figure out HOW, he cut the meaty part of his palm right under the base of his thumb.  One look at it and I knew we had a stitches situation.  I looked at Tommy and told him a) he was in charge and b) not to let Travis move a MUSCLE off the couch and off we went to the doctor’s office.

I didn’t have to worry about traffic parting ways.  I had my own personal ambulance siren in the car with me. Never mind that his hand was sliced and bleeding.  The thought of stitches just about put him in the asylum with me taking up residence next door.

Fortunately there was no tendon or nerve damage and a little needlework and some post-traumatic Yogurt Mountain got us all over the hump.

In other exciting news, Tommy and JJ started back to school.

Because Craig frequently travels during the week and because I can’t lift Travis by myself with his leg sticking out, we put the two boys on the morning bus to school.

My carpool days are over.

And I’m not letting it be a big deal but I do have to acknowledge that looking at this picture makes my heart hurt just a little because I loved taking my boys to school every morning since they were five years old.  But it’s necessary for us right now and it’s good for them to learn independence and amazingly the world didn’t stop because I didn’t drive carpool and we’re moving on.

And, no, I’m not renaming the blog because nicknames are forever. 


I am humbled by my friends.  You know who you are, and it’s everyone who reads this blog and loves on me in real life.  The ones who breathed encouragement before the surgery, the ones who mailed cheer-me-up gifts, the one who sat with me during surgery, the ones who texted because they couldn’t be there, the ones who visited in the hospital, the ones who sewed pillowcases, the ones who sent cards, the ones who brought meals, the ones who brought wine, the friends who brought coffee, and the friends who prayed, prayed, prayed, prayed, prayed for all of us.

Oh, dear friends, I am overwhelmed by your love.  So humbled, so grateful, so blessed and undeserving.  You have taught me much these last few weeks.  About the power of relationship, the power of encouragement, and the power of presence. You have been there for us, for me, and loved us well.

Sometimes our light goes out but is blown again into instant flame by an encounter with another human being.  Each of us owes the deepest thanks to those who have rekindled this inner light. (Albert Schweitzer)

You and my precious family are the ones that keep the fire burning when the flame gets a little low.  (And now you’ll be singing REO Speedwagon all day – you’re welcome.)

Thanks for being sparky.

I love you all.

Have a nice day.


12 responses to “Bless me, Father, for I have sinned….

  1. Thank you, thank you, thank you for the update. It makes it easier to pray specifically for you and your whole crews needs.

  2. Been thinking of y’all/praying for you. Thanks for letting us know what’s going on. Hang in there!

  3. The blog is alive!

    Of course, I’m one to talk. My last blog post was July 11.
    Glad T is feeling better. Tell him to Facetime us any time.

  4. Yea, you are back and your big brother can some piece of mind 🙂 we have been praying for y’all

  5. I’m so glad your son is healing well!

  6. Hugs to you and T. Really, really miss seeing you!

  7. Candace Chaney

    I’m so grateful for the update!!!! Love you CPQ!!!

  8. Pingback: Coming up for air « Hidely Ho, Neighbors!

  9. truthinweakness

    SO happy to hear!! thx so much for the update, & big, big hugs to you!!

  10. So are you saying that the gal who has asthma due to lung damage from rheumatoid disease (yep, my brand o’ arthritis ain’t just for joints) shouldn’t use spray glue? Or do you think I would be okay with a mask outside? (Not rhetorical – really, I’m curious. ’cause I love me those binders.)

  11. Glad to hear you are trending towards normalcy! Missed you!

  12. I love this update and I’m so glad to read about healing 🙂 yay!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s