Well, running a little late in posting The Five today for two reasons which happen to be related to each other. The first is I’d set a rule that I couldn’t blog until I’d done my workout for the day and the second is that I had to think long and hard about whether or not I had the physical and emotional fortitude to climb the stairs to go to my office when it was all said and done.
P90X: Destroying your will to live, one day at a time.
Today’s Five is Things That Happened This Week.
1. We survived the Potentially Dangerous Situation that came through last night. The meteorologists had been warning us for several days that Thursday we were going to be at an elevated risk for severe weather and all day long, we lived in this sort of dreaded state. A little after 5:30, I went out to the driveway and took this picture of the building thunderclouds.
Less than 5 minutes later, it looked like this:
And then I went inside and it got daaaarrrkkkkkk. And the wind gusted through and it lightninged (that’s a word, spellcheck) and stormed for about fifteen minutes but other than my bird feeder getting blown out of the tree and two ferns knocked over on the deck, nothing happened and I feel gypped.
Beautiful post-storm sunset
In other words, a long run for a short slide.
2. I finished the little summer banner I was working on last week and hung it in Travis’ room on his bulletin board. Next up is to cut the vinyl letters out for the verse that he wants put on his wall. I can’t remember if I’ve shared the story but a few months ago when Mom and I were doing some decorating in his room, we decided it would be a good idea to put a verse on the blank wall between two windows. Travis loves Scripture (he’s memorized every verse from every VeggieTale movie) so I asked him what he’d like it to be. Without hesitation he answered, “I will praise You for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.”
Yes, that made me cry.
Since I’m new to this sort of crafting, I thought I’d practice on a couple of smaller projects before tackling that big one, so this week I printed out a few words of encouragement for the boys to read as they went out the door every morning to go to school.
It makes me a little twitchy that it’s not perfectly level but it’s coming down next week because they responded so positively to seeing and reading it every day that I’ve decided to change it frequently with new thoughts or reminders that I think they need to hear.
Like “Flush the toilet” or “Did you change your underwear?”
3. I made sloppy joe sandwiches for dinner last night for only the second time in my career of cooking for this tribe. The kids (and Dad) INHALED them and I’m thinking of adding them into the rotation a little more frequently because they were so easy.
My sauce recipe is:
1 c. ketchup
2 heaping spoonfuls of mustard
1 ts. garlic powder
2 heaping spoonfuls of brown sugar
Mix together and stir into browned ground beef and onions and simmer for 15 minutes. Serve with split, buttered, toasted buns.
4. While we’re on the subject of food, here’s a hint as to why we aren’t shedding any excess pounds around here. Craig went scrounging in the kitchen after dinner and I told him to bring me a LITTLE snack and this is what showed up.
P.S. Am completely in love with the Boar’s Head Peppered Salami. The end.
5. Speaking of love, we are still over the moon crazy about our kitten. She has grown a lot in the last few weeks, learning new skills along the way. She’s decided that Travis is the weakest gazelle in the herd and tries to jump on the table to steal his food and sneak a lap or two of his milk (which T thinks is hilarious, by the way) so we’ve resorted to locking her in the laundry room during mealtimes until I can find a squirt bottle to put a little smack down on her and show her who’s boss.
All Day Long
I hope your weekend is delightful.
Have a nice day.